The car must please the owner, but over time or due to some neglect, the protective layer weakens, the car rusts, stains, scratches, cracks appear. The protective layer needs our constant support. And the best helper in this area is liquid glass (ZhS) for cars.
To understand its importance, in order to keep the car in excellent condition for a long time, you must first learn the components of ZhS, its capabilities, how to use it correctly, which to choose in the market.
What is liquid glass for a car
Advances in technology have made it possible to switch from wax to protective silicone varnish. Of course, we are not talking about pure silicon, but complex compositions based on it. Lightning strike in sand produces glass in the form of a paste - silicates, silicon salts. The principle of a natural phenomenon at high temperature is the basis of the technology of producing infinite variations of solid glass. But glass can also be liquid if you remove the calcium component during its production. Liquid glass is used in the production and creation of many materials, in many industries. Most often in a silicone-based ZhS - alkaline solutions of sodium or potassium.
Since 2008, silicon dioxide SiO2is also part of the silicone base of automotive ZhS. To this, using special technology, are added:
- oxides of titanium and aluminum;
- surfactant substances (surfactants);
- components for the production of polymer films.
Each additive gives certain properties to ZhS. Titanium oxide (together with the polymer components) forms a thermal protective film. The film, made of nanoparticles, gives shine to the body and allows ZhS to be classified as nanoceramics.
Surfactants are responsible for cleanliness - they remove the remaining dirt particles from the already cleaned surface of the body.
The silicone component prevents oxidation of the body and ensures better adhesion of ZhS to the surface of the body, plus - protection of the latter.
The use of silicon dioxide greatly increases the durability of the polish.
How is liquid glass made
ZhS Production Technologies:
- Sintering soda with sand:natural sand and technical soda are mixed, the mixture is baked in special. oven (1300 ° C), cooled. The resulting glassy lumps are dissolved by high pressure steam (or crushed into a powder, which is then dissolved in hot water).
- Processing of silicon raw materials: after grinding the raw materials, an alkali (mainly sodium) is added, the mixture is placed in an autoclave with a vibrator and a temperature of 1000 ° C.
- Hydrothermal technology: Silicon raw materials are dissolved in concentrated alkaline solutions with the release of a large amount of heat, so that additional heating is not required.
- New technology(simple and cheap): cullet is used as raw material of silicon, which is washed, cleaned of metal oxides, crushed, melted, made into silicate monolith. And then in a vibrating mixer with boiling water.
Which properties of ZhS protect the bodywork
The heat protection film formed not only covers the factory paint layer, the diffusion of film and paint atoms occurs. This allows:
- cut off oxygen access to the paint coat;
- prevent the access of corrosive substances to the body;
- repels dirt particles, does not leave traces after rain;
- Protect the paint coat from direct sunlight while maintaining the depth of color.
The presence of SiO2in ZhS strengthens the factory lacquer coating of the body, prevents minor surface damage. This is facilitated not only by the resistance properties of the dioxide, but also by a certain plasticity of the liquid mixture.
What happens after applying ZhS
After applying ZhS, it is provided:
- Reduced the need for frequent washing of vehicles. It is often sufficient to wipe off the dirt with a damp sponge or cloth.
- The paint is protected against fading and fading. Factory color restores depth, saturation.
- The original layer is protected against cracking and loss of appearance.
- The car is protected from rust, as the liquid glass film insulates the metal surface of the body.
Important:Existing minor superficial wounds are filled with JS and become invisible.
Functions of liquid glass
Liquid glass has the following characteristics:
- Preservation of varnish and paint layer - due to diffusion of ZhS and varnish, film formation. The solar ultraviolet is not transmitted, the increase in temperature is not terrible.
- Restoration of the original color. Fill in micro cracks, small bruises and scratches, and increase the thickness of the paint layer, which increases the depth and saturation
- Anti-corrosion protection of the body. Does not allow water, dirt, salt, sand and other aggressive substances to reach the metal body.
- Water repellent and dirt repellent.
- Give shine, luxury to the appearance of the car.
- Increased durability - compared to other varnishes.
- Antistatic. Prevents the body surface from electrifying.
The car has a hydrophobic effect (water and dirt are repelled), you can wash it much less often. And what is left can be removed with a damp cloth and the car will shine again. Thanks to ZhS for cars, stains are practically invisible on the body.
What does liquid glass give to car paint in addition to shine
The surface of the body is protected from aggressive substances, sun, high temperatures, water, pollution. Everything increases the duration of polishing and the coat of varnish and paint. In addition, micro-damage to the surface, aging of the factory paintwork is masked. In other words, the original appearance of the car is restored.
ZhS performs much better than varnish all of the protective and restorative functions described above. The latter hardly protects against aggressive materials.
Without the harsh climate and the state of the roads, liquid glass would retain its properties for 3 years. In bad conditions, the average duration is less than a year. According to the manufacturers, ZhS must withstand at least 80 washes, or a year and a half.
First step. Washing and drying the car outside
If it is made on its own, it should be noted that neither foam rubber nor a cloth is suitable - they hold small solid particles well, which will surely cover the body of the body with a mesh of the smallest scratches. Required - a rubber hose and a soft, long-bristled brush.
Water the whole machine and wait a few minutes for the dirt to soak. In a bucket, prepare a solution of special car shampoo (only him! ) And, dipping a brush in it, clean all the dirt, constantly pouring a hose.
Important:Make sure to wash with shampoo and not with hot water. Otherwise, the smallest dirt will remain in the pores and cracks, which will absorb moisture, and then it will get under the paint. The result will be rust.
But first, clean all the drain holes in the doors, sills and front fenders so that water doesn't get into the cavities and cause further corrosion.
And at the end of washing - remove all the water droplets with clean squeezed suede so that small white spots do not appear in their place, due to the rays of the sun.
Completion of the first step - wipe the entire washed surface with a soft, dry cloth (towel).
Second step. Degreasing
Anything that has not been dissolved by water is removed.
The entire surface of the dried body is degreased with a special agent which has a pungent odor, so the room must have a good extractor hood or you must work in a respirator. Always wear rubber gloves. First, a solvent is applied, after some time the dirt is removed with a soft, lint-free cloth.
Be careful - if the contamination is bituminous, you must use special bitumen cleaners. Never use gasoline, kerosene, etc. on varnish and paint. Only possible on bare metal surfaces. Remove the old varnish. At the end, the body is covered with a cleaning solution and everything is washed.
Cover the car with liquid glass with your own hands
Coating a ZhS car consists of several stages, including primer polishing and mirror polishing.
This step requires premises already prepared and certain skills. The room must have equipment, tools - like in the paint booths. And it should be free from dust, humidity and sunlight, always well lit.
Polishing is easy. In the absence of visible chips with cracks and scratches, a simple polishing is carried out - with a microfiber cloth and varnish - rubbed on a limited part of the body in circular movements (10-20). If you capture a large area at a time, the diaper will have time to dry slightly and there will be a rub problem.
Deep polishing. Deep scratches and chips are first smoothed out with fine sandpaper, a rubber bar, and water. In this case, the sandpaper is softened in lukewarm water.
Next - polishing with an automotive polisher using a polishing paste. Of course, a professional model is preferable.
You can buy a cheap model, or you can make it from an electric drill or grinder using special adapters to attach the polishing pads. But without the right skills, it's easy to spoil the paint.
With the right skills, at this stage the slight damage to the surface is removed, homogeneity is restored, a protective layer is applied.
This is the main stage of the work. JS is applied in a circular motion, layer by layer. Optimum - 10-12 coats, minimum - 4. At the end, walk with a clean towel on the treated surface, remove the whitish coating.
Further drying is a long process (6 to 12 hours). For complete crystallization to occur.
Characteristics of machine coating with liquid glass
Make sure you respect the following rules:
- the conditions for the cleanliness of the room and its protection against sun and rain must be fulfilled. Even in ideal weather, it is better not to take risks and not to work in an open space - no gust of wind, and the work is ruined by the rising dust;
- operating temperature: 15-40 ° С;
- when degreasing, remember to remove the old coating;
- do not use the polisher at full power - in small areas;
- do not press too hard on the typewriter so as not to cause a strong heating of the surface;
- the next car wash - no earlier than in 1-2 weeks, but it is possible to rinse once a week.
Advantages and disadvantages of liquid glass
- increases the surface resistance, much stronger than the conventional varnish;
- protection against aggressive environments;
- no dirt sticking effect;
- making the body shiny, improving its appearance;
- the whole surface can be protected;
- anti-rain, anti-ice, anti-graffiti effects; The durability of
- has been increased.
- Inexpensive ZhS provide poor protection against alkaline solutions;
- is weaker than the chipping and sandblasting protection film;
- weak plastic properties - in case of collision or severe frost, it may crack;
- requires proper care, especially when washing;
- requires certain skills.
Opinions of car owners about processing liquid glass
Car owners have the following opinion on ZhS:
- Everyone notes the brilliant shine, the brightness and color saturation, the rollability of the droplets. A clear advantage over hair removal.
- Easier to clean, less sticky dirt. It doesn't fade so much in summer.
- Dries quickly when applying ZhS, the treated area is slightly larger and everything is ruined. It is a pity that quality formulations are very expensive.
- More reliable than ordinary varnish and looks better and more durable.